Thursday, March 15, 2012

2012 Scripture Memory Verse 4

I started a post with pictures of the Valentine's cookies {from one MONTH ago!} and will hopefully get that up over the weekend, but for now we are working on planting our 4th scripture in our hearts!!

I know I'm not the only one who has trouble controlling her tongue; after all, James (ch. 3) teaches of the incredible power our tongues possess over our whole bodies.  And although God and I have done some work in this area before, I feel a need for a fresh work.  Over the last few weeks my words with my boys have been less than encouraging on several occasions.  There have been plenty of times where I've felt God speaking to my heart, calling me to patience and gentleness through His strength, and I've obeyed and a war is avoided.  But there have also been plenty of times when I've felt that same call and I've trumped it with my own fleshly desires of being right and being in charge and being respected.  Thankfully those times are growing fewer, but they trouble my heart so much and take so much more time to mend.  I've found I can stand my ground in patience, peace, and gentleness if I lean on Him and His strength, rather than my own.  Often my words fail me, and I have to ask God to help me out, so I chose a verse to remind me to be gracious in my speech.

Audrey, Ohio
Colossians 4:6  ESV
Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.


A couple other scriptures that are helpful in taming our tongue:

 Psalm 139:4  TNIV
Before a word is on my tongue
You, LORD, know it completely.


 Proverbs 21:23  NLT
Watch your tongue and keep your mouth shut and you will stay out of trouble.

Continue to cultivate the words of life you are planting down deep in your soul~God's Word will never return to Him empty, but will accomplish His good purposes in your life!!

No comments: