Tuesday, June 1, 2010

1st Scripture Memory

It is so easy to go through a day and compare what I am doing and how I am doing it to people I see (and many that I just know of). Without purposely diverting my attention to more worthwhile thoughts, I will fall into the comparison game. Frequently. God has been working in me about this specific issue over the last year or so, but I'm reminded again just how much effort it takes. I must be purposeful about measuring myself only against God's standards. You must be purposeful about measuring yourself only against God's standards. Some may be disappointed in us, some may be offended by us, but if we are living the life of love that God calls us to, then we can't be consumed by what others think--only what God thinks. Hopefully, I haven't terribly confused you.

In light of this "reminding," here is my verse:

Galatians 6:4 NCV
Each person should judge his own actions and not compare himself with others. Then he can be proud for what he himself has done.

And also:
1 Samuel 16:7b ESV
For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart.

Not sure if I'll memorize this one, but I wanted to share it:
Lamentations 3:40 ESV
Let us test and examine our ways and return to the LORD!

May you know how much God loves you and may you live freely in His love!

3 comments:

bridget610 said...

Audrey - I found your web page again - so proud of you for continuing with memory!! I'm doing also, i have 2 this week from So Long Insecurity. I'll send another post with them soon but wanted to say HI! Blessings to you my friend!

sister sheri said...

My current memory is

"Some trust in chariots
some in horses
but we trust in the name
of the Lord our God."
Psalm 20:7 NIV

and

Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God
with all your heart and
with all your soul and
with all your mind.'
This is the first and greatest commandment."
Matthew 22:37-38

teri-free2bme said...

Hi Audrey! Thanks for peaking in on my blog. How are you!?! So good to see your faithfulness with continued memory verses. I've been keeping up, but not in an accountable manner. I love your commentation for this week's verses; I can relate to the "comparison trap" as you described. Love your verses this week!

Mine this week:
'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit' says the LORD Almighty.
Zechariah 4:6 NIV