Friday, December 3, 2010

Scripture Memory Catch-Up

The last few months have been a time of learning--new roads, new area, new friends, LOTS of new names and faces. It's different here. Not better. Not worse. Just different. Our pace of life is different and, I pray, will slow down in just a few weeks. It's hard to realize, yet again, that I am not superwoman, or even supermom. I can't do all the things I think I should be able to do. And God is helping me see that He didn't make me to do all those things, either. Anyway, I thought I'd share the verses I've been working on over the last 6 weeks.

In light of election time, this is what I chose for November 1:

1 Peter 2:13-17 TNIV
Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of the foolish. Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God's slaves. Show proper respect to everyone, love your fellow believers, fear God, honor the emperor.
(emphasis mine)

I found this next verse months ago and tucked it in with 'verses I'd like to memorize.' November 15 felt like the right time.

Micah 7:18-19 TNIV
Who is a God like You, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of His inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy. You will again have compassion on us; You will tread our sins underfoot and hurl our iniquities into the depths of the sea.

He doesn't have to. He could dust His hands and be finished with us. But He loves us and He's just waiting to separate us from the ick we've got all over us.

On to December 1st...I'ver heard this verse before, but while reading through 2 Timothy last week it struck me. Paul is giving Timothy instructions in being a minister of the Gospel, warning him about false teachers and sharing updates with Timothy about his own ministry. He loves Timothy as a father loves a son and urges him to come visit, then shares this:

2 Timothy 4:7-8 TNIV
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day--and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for His appearing.
(emphasis mine)

That's what I want to be able to say at the end of my life. Not that I get a crown, although that will be wonderful. But that I have fought the good fight, finished the race and kept the faith. Death makes me think about heaven. I have no real ideas of what heaven will be like--anytime I've tried to imagine it, my imaginations can't measure up to how good I know it will be. But God will be there. Jesus will be there. I can't remember a day in my life when I haven't known Him and He'll be there. That's all that really matters.

No comments: