Friday, December 10, 2010

Narnia, Romans, & Relearning

I began reading C.S. Lewis’ “Chronicles of Narnia” with our boys several weeks ago. I never have read a single book from the series, but we have seen “The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe,” as well as “Prince Caspian,” so I thought the boys would really enjoy the adventure that lay within. We started our journey with “The Magician’s Nephew” since it tells of how Narnia, Aslan and the White Witch came to be. At one part, Aslan gives some of his creation the ability to speak and encourages them to treat the other created animals gently. But there is also a warning: “do not go back to their ways lest you cease to be Talking Beasts.” And the additional warning that that is possible to do so. A few pages later, Lewis points out: “Now the trouble with trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.”


We were created with the wonderful ability to learn, but we can also unlearn those things by neglecting to use/practice them. How many of us rode a bike superbly as children, yet haven’t ridden one for 10+ years and now find the act more than a little daunting? How many times have I thought, “I’ll just let Mom hem these pants for me”? I could do it, I learned how to sew, but because I don’t get the sewing machine out and practice, I would have to relearn some things before I could sew a nice hem. And stupider??? I’m embarrassed to say I have finished watching several movies that I honestly felt stupider by the end.

I mention all this because I began reading Romans today. Verse 28 of chapter 1 tells us:
“Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.”

I must say, this scares me. Often times, I have asked myself {when thinking about the evil of trafficking in the world}, “HOW CAN SOMEONE DO THIS? HOW CAN THEY THINK THIS IS OKAY?” I think this verse helps explain. I cannot comprehend, nor will I ever be able to, the reasons why someone could treat another person harshly. However, Romans 1:28 tell us that when people don’t think God is worthwhile, eventually God will give them over to their own sinful minds, resulting in things that “ought not to be done.”

A scary thought, but here’s some hope. Remember how difficult it was to get back on that bike after years away? It may not have been the most graceful sight the first time, but I’m betting it came back to you rather quickly. That’s how it happened for Craig and me. Time away sets us back, but we CAN relearn. Praise God, He’s not through with us! We may step away, we may turn our back, we may “not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God.” But we CAN come back. Until the day we die, or Jesus comes back for us, we can grow in our knowledge of God and share His good news with those around us. May we do just that this Christmas season, for we have good news to shout about—a Savior has been born to us—He is Christ the Lord!

2 comments:

teri-free2bme said...

"...for we have good news to shout about—a Savior has been born to us—He is Christ the Lord!" Audrey, I'm SHOUTING OUT with you!

Great post... got me thinking.

Blessings to you and your family & Merry CHRISTmas!!!

bridget610 said...

Hiya Audrey- cool post! And I'm with you about learning, I have to work very hard to not lose the karate forms from just the prior cycle a few months ago!
To that end, I'm glad for the SSMT starting again for the accountability- and I sure hope to see you again in Houston! It would be such a joy and blessing!
B