Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Day 5: Supplication for Self

To supplicate is to make a humble request, so today we move along in our prayer to our requests for ourselves.  God does not answer every request we bring to Him in the way that we desire.  Some reasons include:  our disobedience, pride, lack of faith, or double-mindedness.  On the other hand, God promises to answer (though the answer may be different than what we had in mind) when we feed the hungry and stand up for the oppressed, when we believe that we will receive what we ask, when we forgive others, when we obey God’s commands, and when we pray in the Spirit.  God knows best and will answer in what is best for us—not just what sounds good to us. (paraphrased from Nelson’s New Illustrated Bible Dictionary, 1023)

“Now enter into a time of prayer for yourself.  I wholeheartedly disagree with both those who say we shouldn’t pray for ourselves and those who make us feel selfish when we do.  God has called each of us to love Him, serve Him, and live holy lives.  I need help to live that life!  We can only know Him intimately when we bring Him our innermost thoughts, fears, hurts, gains, losses and desires.  This is a time when I just talk to Him.  I ask Him to give me a heart to love Him more and to fill any empty or handicapped places in my heart with the safety of His love.  I discuss with Him my tendencies and any weaknesses I’m experiencing.  I share my needs and desires.  I use this as a very personal time between the two of us.  I hope you’ll do the same.  Pour out your heart to Him for God is our refuge (Ps. 6:8).”  Beth Moore from Whispers of Hope page 7

Isaiah 58:6-11

Mark 11:22-26

John 15:7

1 John 3:21-23; 5:13-15

Honesty—we want it from other people and God desires the same from us.  Find that paper or journal, praise Him, confess, acknowledge Him, intercede for others and be honest with Him about your heart and mind—don’t be afraid to ask God to fill you with more of Him and more of His love, strength, focus, _______.  He is so faithful!

1 comment:

Pam said...

God, help me to be submissive to you in all things. To take myself out of the picture and put only you in it. To trust you daily with everything I do.