God forgives us, accepts us as His children, allows us to enter into His holy presence because of Jesus’ sacrifice and gives us a new life, mind and heart. We have everything to be thankful for—even difficulties. Tough as they may be, we can thank God for His constant presence and understanding. (paraphrased from Nelson’s New Illustrated Bible Dictionary, page 1023)
Here’s what Beth Moore has to say on giving thanks: “What about thanksgiving? Philippians 4:6 says, “in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” Incorporate thanksgiving into every aspect of your prayer time. As you PRAISE, thank Him for choosing to reveal Himself to you. As you REPENT, thank Him for His faithfulness to forgive your sins. As you ACKNOWLEDGE His lordship, thank Him for being so trustworthy with His authority. As you INTERCEDE, thank Him for being your Great High Priest and adding power to your petitions. In SUPPLICATION for yourself, thank Him for knowing you intimately and desiring that you know Him. As you ask for EQUIPPING, thank Him for never calling on you to do anything He will not readily equip you to accomplish. In EVERYTHING, THANK HIM!” Whispers of Hope page 7
Take note of the thankfulness in these passages:
Psalm 136:1-26
Colossians 3:17
1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18
Was there anything about this study that was new to you? Any favorite lesson? Take time to journal your prayer today, including all 6 steps of P.R.A.I.S.E. as well as incorporating thanksgiving. May we treasure the truth that ours is a God who loves us immensely and desires relationship with us. May our hearts and minds continue to expand to embrace the richness of His love!
3 comments:
This has been a really helpful study. I feel more focused in my prayers now. I have tried writing them in the past and given up because it takes so long. I decided today to start typing them so that it's faster (and more legible!), but it will still give me the focus I need. I especially appreciated the "Acknowledgment" and "Equipping" parts of the prayer model. I think those areas were missing in many of my prayers before.
I am so thankful for this study this week. I really felt like some of it was speaking directly to me, which of course is no accident since God always has a plan :)
I also can't stop laughing about something Beth Moore said about don't waste time trying to tell God how you want him to handle stuff and just pray (I know that is not the exact words, but something like that). I am really guilty of that without even knowing it! The last couple of times I have prayed I have felt something lifted, because I am no longer trying to help be a part of the problem solving team with God :)
I had to learn Philp 4:6 at a bible study I did several years ago. For some reason that scripture has been going through my mind for the past few days and then to see it in todays lesson, wow. God works in special ways.
Pam
Post a Comment